Free-Floating Hostility

Wednesday, October 05, 2005


Who the Fuck is Harriet Miers?

I don't want to say that President Bush's newest nominee for the Supreme Court is unqualified, but I hear his first choice -- a ham-and-cheese on white bread with the crusts cut off from Terry's Sandwich Shop -- turned him down cold

This is clearly a trick by the Republican Party, but I can't quite figure out what the angle is. Either they know she has a judicial philosophy straight out of the 1930s, or they expect that Scalia and the dread-Justice-Roberts will keep her in line when it comes time to overturn Roe v. Wade. Or, maybe they want the Democrats to reject her so there can be a open war over the next pick, since clearly the GOP has to energize Christian conservatives in time for mid-term elections.

Also, is anyone else noticing a pattern? Dick Cheney was asked to help vet Vice Presidential possibilities and then Bush chose him to be VP. Miers helped vet Roberts and now, suddenly, she's a nominee. So, I would like to hereby volunteer my services to help the President select a new ambassador to France.

2 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Blogger Rich at October 05, 2005 2:41 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Because of her last name, I thought she might have been married to a general in the Imperial Army. Being so closely connected to the Empire, I knew for certain what her views are on abortion, gay rights, etc. However, I double-checked and realized that the general I was thinking of was named Veers, not Miers. Boy was I wrong! Still, if you check out his biography, I think most of their views should still be quite similar.

    http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/generalmaximilianveers/index.html

    Anyway, there was a rumor going around the dinner table last night that her life partner is Condi. Spread the word.

  •   Posted by Blogger Unknown at October 05, 2005 3:48 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • That's cute. The next president dating a Supreme Court justice. So much for the separation of powers.

Post a Comment