Free-Floating Hostility

Sunday, September 11, 2005


Booze for Breakfast

One of the oddities of life on the West Coast is the sports bar, which opens early on fall weekends for people who want to watch football on an east-coast schedule. I did this twice when traveling to Oregon last fall, to watch Michigan games. Being without TV this weekend, I also ventured to a place in town that said on its website they would have the Wolverines on the big screen.

They did. The Grad is experimenting with college football Saturday to compliment its NFL Sundays. The experiment, it seems to me, is designed to fail. I walked in just after 9 a.m. expecting a full array of greasy dishes, but there was no food to be found. The place does a full breakfast service on Sunday mornings for the pros, but has only beer, booze and coffee available until about 11 a.m. on Saturday. Fitting, a college student's breakfast. Of course, I couldn't pull the trigger on a 9 a.m. beer (my football routine, since I've work at games rather than attend has no booze component). Instead, I savored a cup of coffee that tasted as though it had been waiting for me since Thursday.

The best to be said for the experience, is that I did watch the game in near privacy, as I would have at home. For most of the morning I shared the large room with two other Michigan fans and a group of four Virginia Tech fans. Mostly we were a calm bunch. It was nothing like AmCaf on football Sundays, when there would be random clapping from some area of the bar when the Chiefs or Seahawks were closing in on the end zone. The ending of the game also sucked. I miss having my own cable.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment