Free-Floating Hostility

Monday, January 22, 2007


I Was Happy for him Until he Opened his Mouth

I found myself rooting for the Colts in the second half of Sunday's AFC Championship Game. I do like Peyton Manning, because he makes the best commercials. I figured it would be nice to see him in a Super Bowl. Also, I thought I respected Tony Dungy's perserverance in face of continued defeat as a coach. But then I read this story in the Boston Globe, which quotes Dungy four times and uses religious references in three of them. I've pulled them out for you.
  • "But they've been that way all year. They've fought back and they just give so much effort. They're such a unified group. I just have to thank the Lord. He did it in such a way that nobody would believe it. We got to give the Lord a lot of credit for giving us the strength to do it."
  • "I think it's great that we're able to show the world not only that African-American coaches can do it, but Christian coaches can do it in a way that we can still win."
  • "I came here five years ago and this was our goal. This is what [Colts' owner] Jim Irsay and I talked about. He wanted to bring a championship to Indianapolis and for me to be a part of it with the group that we have is special. I think the Lord really tested us a lot from last year."
Irsay, in his postgame speech on the field, also referenced God, which seemed to be in especially bad form. The Patriots are owned by Robert Kraft, who is famous for, among other things, endowing a Center for Jewish Life at Columbia. If I had realized that Pats-Colts was actually a religious war, I certainly would have been rooting the other way.

I'm sort of a loss now for how to go in the Super Bowl. I'm not sure supporting the Bears will be much better, given that the second quotation above is in reference to Lovie Smith, Chicago's coach. I didn't care as much about that game, so can't say for sure if he was equally God-centric in his postgame remarks. By all means be religious, but please stop talking about it in postgame interviews.

4 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Blogger Form at January 23, 2007 9:18 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Coach Dungy has a point attributing his victory to the good lord. How else do you explain the non-call on Caldwell in the enzone and the roughing the passer call at the end of the game?

    I am against preaching in these contexts. However, I read somewhere else that Dungy's remarks regarding "Christain Coaches" implicated more than religious life. He also is descibing an approach to the job of football coach where the game does not trump the rest of your life. I.E. a sense of perspective and priorities.

    I think that is a somewhat important message for America. We have always celebrated the Belechik's of the world for their focus and endless preparation. How do we reconcile that value with the importance of family and human dignity? This is an important issue for the American worker.

  •   Posted by Blogger Unknown at January 23, 2007 10:21 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Maybe they organize their days and relate to players differently. But I don't really believe Dungy and his staff prepare, focus or care less than Belichick and his staff. Coaching in the NFL is a grind, no matter what tack you take. My guess is that the difference between what Belichick and Dungy stand for is mostly what they stress in public.

    Calling that approach "Christian," suggests something else entirely. Also, aren't protestants famous for their work ethic?

  •   Posted by Anonymous Anonymous at February 05, 2007 3:55 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Your response seems ignorant and lacking in any solid reasons for being against "preaching" as you say.

    A large part of the Christian faith is sharing that faith with others. Tony Dungee is merely giving credit to his God for things he has been blessed with.

    I don't understand the hostility toward Christianity in general.

  •   Posted by Anonymous Anonymous at February 06, 2007 5:43 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Tony Dungy did not say anything against anyone, he was speaking up for The Lord! When someone has a personal relationship with God, they worship God, they talk about God. On the other hand, some people don't talk about or worship anybody but themselves, and they take statements like Dungy's as somehow insulting. Amen Mike?

Post a Comment