Free-Floating Hostility

Friday, February 11, 2005


Blogging in the Acceptable Time

Out of concern for my professional life, BrooklynDodger sent me this article about bloggers getting in trouble for talking about their bosses behind their backs. Although I probably will only work at the clinic for another day (I have a new job in the works but I won't jinx it by posting about it yet), I certainly wouldn't want to be fired.

I have always taken the position that anything I say about people in the dark I should be prepared to say in the light. That doesn't stop me from maliciously gossiping; I just think if I'm caught I deserve what I get, i.e. when I accidentally emailed the head of my high school's alumnae association with the information that her son had been "blown by a quarter of our class--the quarter that wasn't on financial aid." That was quite possibly the most painful moment of my life, but I deserved a far worse. I do feel badly that the poor woman heard it from me, especially since she's been nothing but gracious, but on the whole I feel that letting out that kind of sentiment in a safe and trusting environment is the most positive thing I can do with it. What's my alternative? Repression is fraught with its own perils.

However, the Free-Floaing Hostility is not really a safe place for the products of my acid pen, and I did take something of a risk by blogging so viciously about Dr. Mormonstein and Febra. I will have to take a long look at that.

2 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Blogger BrooklynDodger at February 12, 2005 6:37 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • The metaphor of "acid tipped pen" needs some work when the text is typed on a laptop and posted to the internet. Some play on electrons might work, but the hydrogen ion, essence of acidity, is a proton.

  •   Posted by Blogger Anna at February 12, 2005 12:55 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • What, exactly, do you think is the point of a metaphor?

Post a Comment