Free-Floating Hostility

Wednesday, April 27, 2005


Fun with Food

I'm the sort of Jew who won't eat bread this week, but will eat ham.

I didn't even know that people kept Passover before I went away to college and was exposed to folks who hadn't gone to secular humanistic temples all their lives. I started swearing off bread at Passover when we lived in Hobbs. Being the only Jew in a 90-mile radius unless you count Anna, I thought I should mark the occasion with something more than having matz-ball soup along with my Taco Bell. Anyway the tradition still holds, although I sort of make up the rules as I go along. For me that means no bread, nothing that obviously expands like pasta or rice, no corn, no corn syrup and nothing with flour.

During the course of my diet (five months now) I've learned how difficult it is to roll with the punches when other people, and by that I mean various media relations departments, are designing your dinner and not exactly telling you in advance what the menu will be.

On Tuesday I covered a baseball game where the pregame meal was actually a deli buffet. That meant I had to endure Atkins diet taunts as I made my through a lunch of lettuce, tomato, a variety of cold cuts and mustard with a knife and fork. So that was fun. Friday is Kings basketball, where I'll have to figure out a way not to walk in the door, make a bee-line to the pizza stand and wolf down two slices before I've opened my laptop. I'd bring my own matza if bringing your own dinner weren't an offense punishable by extreme taunting and suggestions of amateurism.

I don't know how people keep kosher and function in the world.

6 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Blogger Jeff'y at April 27, 2005 9:33 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • The kid who sits next to me at work is a vegan (which, if you don't know how anyone manages to keep Kosher in general, try being a vegan). He is not Jewish but just started dated a girl who is, and he decided that he'd keep Kosher for Passover, but hardcore. No legumes (no soy, therefore) and no rice or corn means that he gets next to nothing by way of protein for the week. He's a nice guy and all, but it will be funny if his hair starts falling out.

    He also observes Ramadan each year for no good reason (i.e. he's not dating a Muslim), and we were speculating what would happen if Ramadan overlapped with Passover. The consensus is that he'd be fucked.

  •   Posted by Blogger Form at April 28, 2005 6:25 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Here are some tips for keeping kosher and functioning in the world.

    1)Don't move to Davis California. I am not saying you are a bad Jew. I am just fully disclosing the fact that it is much easier for me to function in the real world as a Kosher Jew than you, because I got all these businesses marking up Orange Juice around this time of year to fleece my people.

    2)For Pesach, go with meat and potatoes. I am not sure what the Mirer diet allows, but usually diets get left in Egypt during the Seder as we recreate the Exodus. Potato chips are a must. Jeff'y's friend better get his hands on some spinach soon or he is going to be having problems.

    3)Wear a weird hat indicating that you are part of a weird religion all year round. Eventually people will get use to your strange eating habits and get tired of taunting you. Next thing you know, they are asking to try some of the Matzah and chopped liver you bring to work this week.

    4)Finally, Matzah Lasagna, which is surprisingly good. Get your hands on some Matzah (to sub for the noodles), Kosher for Pesach cottage cheese, Kosher for Pesach Tomato Sauce, and some Kosher for Pesach Mozzarella cheese and imitate Lasgna. Spinach is optional for those in need of protein. It is quite good (at least when my mother-in-law makes it) and Anna safe.

  •   Posted by Blogger Anna at April 28, 2005 9:31 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Dude, there is absolutely no protein in Spinach. I will try the lasagna, though.

  •   Posted by Blogger Unknown at April 28, 2005 9:35 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Wait, potato chips are legal? Shit, at the baseball game I avoided the big basket of chips because I figured there was no way they were legal. I would have eaten a lot less meat.

    At home it's been burgers rubbed down horseradish, although I'm almost out of ground beef and need to figure out what I'm going to do next. Actually Matzah lasagna sounds pretty good. As for the diet thing, matzah's pretty actually pretty non-caloric.

    Also, the owner of Houston Rockets is a vegan and the pregame media meal at their building is meatless.

  •   Posted by Blogger Jeff'y at April 28, 2005 6:34 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • You have to be careful about potato chips as they might be cooked in corn oil. Or you could simply not care.

  •   Posted by Blogger Form at April 29, 2005 6:11 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Jeff'y is right. Try to find Utz potato chips.

Post a Comment