Free-Floating Hostility

Saturday, November 19, 2005


The Vonk: The Ultimate Bassoon Stand

The above was the heading on a brochure I happened upon while straightening my employer's desk. The Bassoon is an inherently amusing instrument (though beautiful), and funnier still for those of us who remember the time Leo referred to Eugene's instrument as a baboon. But Dutch bassoon stands, I learned, are even funnier than bassoons. "The Vonk is de oplossing voor elke zittende fagots peler," the advertisement ran. And then, reverting suddenly to English, "The Vonk is available from Fagot Atelier Maarten Vonk." And, his web address is www.fagot.nl if you don't mind.

2 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Anonymous Anonymous at November 20, 2005 7:00 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Much to the mortification of some of us former protogay double-reed instrumentalists -- and we know who we are -- "fagotto" is the Italian word for "bassoon." The abbreviation in classical scores is often "fagg." The word derives from the Latin for a bundle of sticks, which is no consolation.

  •   Posted by Blogger Anna at November 20, 2005 2:09 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Gracious! I had no idea I had three bassoonists in my life. I don't know anyone who plays the tuba.

    I suspected such an etymology might be involved, but I remain puzzled as to how one moves from a bundle of sticks to an bassoon. Is it the double reed? Food for thought.

Post a Comment