Free-Floating Hostility

Tuesday, April 04, 2006


Help Yourself to my Pancreas (I Won't be Using it)

Today my driver's license (lalalala, lalalala) came in the mail, and with it came my organ donor sticker. That's how I learned that California has an organ donor registry; I registered with Donate Life California and now I don't legally need anyone else's consent to donate my organs in the event of my death. The registry also gives you a chance to restrict your donation to particular organs or tissues and to restrict the uses to which your organs and tissues will be put. I do have a living will, and I've made clear my intentions to my designees, but this is better still. The interesting thing about California's living wills is that you can designate people you specifically do NOT want to make decisions about you while you're in a coma or similar. But I digress. Anyway, there's no national organ donation registry, but a number of states have them. So, if you're interested, based on our informal reader profiles: neither Massachussetts, Texas (sorry Sol) nor Pennsylvania has a registry, but I shall link you to California, New York and Washington State.

1 Comment(s):

Post a Comment