Free-Floating Hostility

Sunday, May 07, 2006


The Midnight Recoil

I am up late finishing a term paper for the morning. I was going to brush my teeth as a diversion when I opened the medicine cabinet and found a large, spry waterbug cavorting about the nozzle of my spray-on conditioner. This is the grossest thing I have seen since leaving New Mexico, capitol of the recently-imported mutant flying spotted gigantic talking roach world. One of the nice things about Davis is the relative freedom from disgusting bugs of that family. But this is the second waterbug sighting in a week. This now means that 1) we will have to get roach traps, which means having pesticides in the house, which is a bummer 2) I will have to wake up at five tomorrow to get a new toothbrush across the street because the toothbrushes live in the medicine cabinet, along with the eyedrops and the steroids I put up my nose for rhinitis, though the last two are thankfully covered. In New York when you got someone else's bugs you knew who to blame, i.e. whoever lives underneath you. Now I have no idea who's breeding the bugs crawling up my waterpipes. Not that I don't have downstairs neighbors, but I like them and they've been here longer.

Obviously I woke Mike up to kill the roach. Yes, he has to be at work at six. Yes, I'm a bad wife.

Okay, back to work.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment