Free-Floating Hostility

Saturday, June 24, 2006


Heat Wussage

This blog is inordinately affected by the weather, which is why, if I want to post, I must do it around 6:30 a.m.

We are "enjoying" the first real heat wave of the summer. The temperature has broken 105 degrees for the last three days and that is expected to continue into tomorrow. Luckily, our air conditioner is broken and our building manager appears to be on vacation. Even before he left, however, it didn't seem as though he was eager to fix it. I invited him up on a cool night in late May to tell him that the AC didn't appear to be working then. He explained that it a new unit and he could hear the cooling the system switch on when I pressed the power button. I heard it too, but all the good sounds couldn't really mask the fact that no cold air was coming out of the system. He agreed to look into it and then, I assume, promptly forgot. Anyway, my laptop doubles as a heat generating device, so I've been avoiding it.

I've responded to the heatwave by spending an inordinate amount of time at work. Usually I spent the bare minimum at my desk, preferring to conduct business in person with people or via cell phone in my apartment. It's telling that the AC switch-on has gotten progressively earlier. Usually our cost-conscious managers have been waiting until 1 p.m. to start cooling the building, but Friday it was just about 10 a.m. Evenings have been no refuge. We've hidden out in Borders the last few nights until nearly 10 p.m. and then walked outside into mid-80s temps. Nice for strolling, but not really for sleeping. The only good news is that the time in the bookstore is keeping me away from the television, and I'm actually doing some reading. I finished Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch in three sittings and really quite enjoyed it. I need to figure out what to pick up next. I want to take a go at something fictional, but I don't really have anything in mind. I'd take suggestions.

1 Comment(s):

Post a Comment