Free-Floating Hostility

Sunday, June 18, 2006


That's it! That's the List!

Mike and I have resolved to watch each other's picks for best movies (as distinct from favorite movies, which would have included Love Actually and The Commitments) this summer. Here they are, order-free:

Mike

  • 12 Monkeys
  • All the President’s Men
  • Before Sunrise
  • The Big Lebowski
  • Monty Python’s Life of Brian
  • M
  • Out of Sight
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Romeo + Juliet
  • The Silence of the Lambs

Anna

  • Adam’s Rib
  • Big Fish
  • The Big Lebowski
  • Cabaret
  • City of Lost Children
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • Four Weddings and a Funeral
  • Primary Colors
  • The Silence of the Lambs
  • West Side Story

For Good Measure, The Six Worst Movies Ever:

  • Dancing at the Blue Iguana
  • Powder
  • Congo
  • Johnny Mnemonic
  • Something’s Gotta Give
  • Crash (1996)

5 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Anonymous Anonymous at June 20, 2006 3:44 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Will you have to watch Silence of the Lambs twice? Well, if it's so good, I guess that's OK.
    IJM

  •   Posted by Blogger Anna at June 20, 2006 3:55 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • You've seen it. You were with me when I saw it the first time--New Year's 1997 at Jess's.

    And no. Lebowski, probably yes.

  •   Posted by Blogger jess at June 21, 2006 6:38 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • I'd love to set up something like this, since Dan hasn't seen Real Genius or Clue (though I did make him watch Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead). But he doesn't really have favorite movies I haven't seen.

    Also this reminded me that I should make him watch City of Lost Children, too. But I'm focusing on Real Genius right now, because seriously, a physicist who hasn't seen Real Genius? It's nonsensical.

  •   Posted by Blogger Jeff'y at June 24, 2006 9:13 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • ...Four Weddings and a Funeral...

  •   Posted by Anonymous Anonymous at June 25, 2006 2:02 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Oh, I know. I remember leaving the room when Hannibal Lechter breaks out of his cage. I'm glad I did it, too. I'd do it again.
    What I meant is, if it's so good as to win its way onto two best-of lists, then it must be good enough to watch twice.
    But I don't understand what's so great about The Big Lebowski. The actors are all good, but they're great in other movies, too. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
    IJM

Post a Comment