Free-Floating Hostility

Sunday, July 09, 2006


The Power of Advertising

I was on the phone with my mom yesterday when she asked me if she should see The Devil Wears Prada, because, obviously, she has not read the blog. Anyway, it turns out that my father asked her out on a date to see it. My dad's admiration for Meryl Streep is great, but still, what??

"Ask him how he heard about the movie," I prompted her.
"Art, how'd you hear about The Devil Wears Prada?"
"I don't know."
"Ask him if he even knows what Prada is," I persisted.
"Art, what's Prada?"
"I don't know."
"See, I told you." I am very smart.
"It's clothing," he amended.
"Arthur." Mom was affectionately scathing. "When a noun attaches to the verb 'wears' it's a pretty good bet it's clothing."
"Not necessarily," he defended. "It could be a smile. Or shame. Or horns."

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment