Free-Floating Hostility

Tuesday, August 08, 2006


Retractor Beam

I can't believe that after all of Mike's posts about the World Cup, he failed to alert us to the apex of gallows humor (chew over that mixed metaphor and smoke it), excerpted here from The Guardian back in June:
Spain's coach Luis Aragonés last night refused to apologise before this evening's second-round game against France in Hanover for racially abusing Thierry Henry in 2004, insisting rather bafflingly that he has "black, Gypsy and Japanese friends, including one whose job is to determine the sex of poultry".
I didn't exactly faint from shock at hearing that the coach who made the comment was from Spain. Call me sheltered, but I lived in New York City for twelve years and it wasn't till I traveled to Spain that anyone tried to tell me a "black joke," and it wasn't even funny.

As a specimen of backpedaling, this is pretty rich, but it isn't quite the funniest I've ever heard. Sadly, I can't remember anymore the names of the men involved, but I did once see on ESPN an interview between two boxers, one of whom had publicly called the other gay. "I didn't say he was gay," this man now asserted, "I said he was acting in a way that was gay." The other boxer's rebuttal involved something about how he was "100% ladies' man" and the interview ended in a physical fight in the studio.

My high school history teacher Mr. H once told us a story about going into a Jewish bakery during Purim. He ordered hamantaschen, and the man behind the counter squinted at him. "Funny," said the man, "You don't look hamantaschen." "Some of my best friends are hamantaschen," Mr H replied.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment