Free-Floating Hostility

Tuesday, October 03, 2006


Game 1: Derek Jeter is a Magnificent Bastard

I'm going to try and keep up with the baseball postseason, although my work schedule won't really allow for that. Today, however, I rudely walked out of a schmooze opportunity around work to get back to my television for tonight's Game 1. I don't know how you Boston fans out there deal with all this postseason stuff. One game in, and I'm spent from the tension. Maybe I just need to build up some stamina. The Tigers have a chance to be pretty good for the next few years, which could help me with that.

I don't expect Detroit to win this series, but I can't help but be encouraged after tonight's 8-4 loss.

Here's why: New York's five-run third started thanks to a missed routine play by Detroit pitcher Nate Robertson. It's insurance runs in the sixth were six inches from being an inning-ending ground out. Beyond Rivera, no one in the Yankee bullpen is at all scary. Even down 7-4, the Tigers brought the tying run to the plate in the seventh against that bullpen. And really, I'm interested to read the rationale for the inexplicable decision to pull Wang in the seventh, which gave the Tigers a chance to get back in the game. Also, the chances of Derek Jeter going 5-for-5 again this series are fairly long.

6 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Blogger Rich at October 04, 2006 2:56 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • You can explain away almost anything. I am sure Leyland has a good explanation for batting his best hitter 5th (Guillen) and arguably his worst hitter 3rd (Casey). He probably has a good explanation for not including a better first baseball (Shelton) than Casey on his post-season roster. However, I don't think even he can justify having Neifi Perez on his team!

  •   Posted by Anonymous Anonymous at October 05, 2006 6:42 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • The Yankee bullpen is sketchy. Torre has a tendency to go to two (maybe three) relievers all the time, and Proctor has been one of those guys this year. Sooner or later that tactic will backfire. I also thought it was interesting that Torre brought in Rivera in a non-save situation. Was he trying to scare the Tigers? Did Mariano need the work? I know he promised not to use Rivera in the 8th, but dude--using him in a non-save situation at the beginning of the series could amount to the same thing, depending on what happens later in the week.

    Mike, my tactic for dealing with the playoffs sounds a lot like yours. I tell everyone I know I'll see them again when baseball is over, and then I go and cower in my room next to the radio (I can't watch the really close games on TV).

  •   Posted by Blogger Rich at October 05, 2006 7:08 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • But he pinky-swore! I think that is legal binding.

  •   Posted by Blogger Unknown at October 05, 2006 8:01 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Dude, Shelton is a below-average defensive first basemen who hasn't hit a major league curveball in four months. I can't explain Neifi Perez.

  •   Posted by Blogger Rich at October 05, 2006 11:03 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Defensive first baseman? Where is Mientkiewicz when you need him? Oh, that's right, he's on the worst franchise of the 21st century. Anywho, all I am saying is that Tigers have an uphill battle with their lineup/roster construction that doesn't have to be there.

  •   Posted by Blogger Anna at October 05, 2006 10:58 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Derek Jeter is in no sense a bastard. He is a prince of a man, and you know it. Sour grapes.

Post a Comment