Free-Floating Hostility

Sunday, November 05, 2006


Long on Vocab, Short on Plot

My dad finally converted my old bedroom into his study, a move which had been postponed for years because no one felt like tackling the piles I had left there when I moved into Carman. Out of said piles my dad rescued one box's worth of memoribilia, which he recently mailed me. These included a journal in which I discovered the following work of fiction, nearly lost to posterity. Judging by the handwriting, I think I was around ten when I wrote it. I have preserved the original spelling and punctuation, so I will pre-announce one giant "[sic]" for the piece.

My name is Sarah. The day my children got lost was the scariest day of my life. I was napping by the fire with my pups, Margaret, susan Bobby, Daisy, and Toby, one night. We had just had our meal, and everyone was sleepy. Bobby yawned and stood up. He nudged Maggie. "Come on, let's go see if the cat is asleep," he said. The two of them trotted of to find the cat, Agnes. She and I were on fairly good terms for two adversarial species. She was a snob, to be sure, but she minded her p's and q's around me. The puppies loved to chase her kittens, though wich often caused some heated arguments. I would have made them come back if I had known they were leaving, but I was asleep.

When I woke up I was startled to find two puppies missing. Awful thoughts ran through my head. Dog-catchers, automobiles, construction sights. I raced up to my mistress'es bedroom. I barked and howled, and jumped up and down. "Help!," I cried, "Bobby and Margaret are missing! We have to find them." My mistress could not understand, though. "I can't take you out, it's pitch black out there," she said. I could see I would have to find them myself.

I ran down to the living room, "Stay here all of you. Don't move a muscle," I said and ran off again.

Mean while Bobby and Maggie had wandered off and lost their way. They were treking forlornly through the kitchen when Bobby said, "Maggie look! There are our bowls!." And sure enough there were six little bowls with our names on them. " I know how to get to the living room from here," said Maggie. So off they went with renewed energy and before long they were back with the other pups.

I had searched every room in the house and I could not find them. I retraced my footsteps back to the living room. Sobbing I through myself on the floor and whined.

"What's the matter Mama?," said Bobby. "Bobby! It's you!," I cried. I hugged and kissed them and after repremanding them and putting them to bed I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

Labels: , ,

2 Comment(s):

Post a Comment