Free-Floating Hostility

Wednesday, October 15, 2008


In Which I Fail as a Political Operative

I'm not a reporter right now. But I'm not entirely comfortable being a partisan either. So it felt odd walking into the local Obama office and making phone calls today. And, honestly, it didn't go very well. I was OK at the part when I called and asked a question (who are you going to vote for?) But when it was time to try and persuade people, I was halting and found myself being asked questions that weren't on the script. That was frustrating. My overarching reason for supporting Obama is that I believe McCain will be a continuation of Bush's corporatist policies. Obama won't be so much. The problem is that it sounds kind of Communist, which isn't the best way to persuade undecideds in Wisconsin.

Mostly, I had not a lot of no answers. There were a few hang-ups and one long discussion with a guy who was pretty well-informed except he would get one or two key details wrong. And I couldn't shake him. He left the call undecided, waiting for tonight's debate. Also, I was the only person at my table and it seemed kind of lonely and unpleasant. Part of the reason I went was to meet some like-minded people. But maybe going in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday wasn't the best idea. My current plan is to go back at least one more time to try and do my part. Of course, Wisconsin isn't as swingy a state as it looked two weeks ago.

My current plans for Election Day are to act as an ACLU-trained Pollwatcher.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment