Free-Floating Hostility

Thursday, October 21, 2004


The Sox

I spent the week watching the ALCS with Anna, who is a Yankee fan. Out of the same sort of respect I employed for my Laker-fan colleague this summer, I did not rejoice in the manner of drunken Bostonian, screaming epithets at fallen Yankees or similar. That said, it was great to see the Yanks lose, if only to prove one that change is the only constant.

I, however, refuse to join in the chorus of people wondering if this comeback was a cataclysmic event in the history of American sport. I don't believe that the Yankees will now embark on an 80-year title drought. I don't believe that, from a baseball supremecy stadpoint, the 21st century will belong to Boston. Because above all, I don't believe in the curse, never did.
But here are couple of notes on the series:
  1. It's no fun when George Steinbrenner is gracious in defeat. He should have walked into the Yankee clubhouse and gone around firing everyone Trump style. I bet he even cried.
  2. A-Rod is a bitch. And for a guy who gets paid that much, what has he ever won?
  3. Curt Schilling has balls the size of West Virginia. I don't care what anyone says, taken in context Game 6 the most heroic performance in the history of sports. And don't come with the weak-ass "It wasn't the World Series" argument. Someone wins the World Series every year, seven innings like that are once in a lifetime.
  4. I think a lot of runs will be scored in the World Series.
  5. Who's having a better year than Dave Form? First, Davefest, now the (other?) impossible dream. What's next?

3 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Blogger Rich at October 22, 2004 1:27 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • I agree with your last comment about Dave. Don't forget, the Patriots won the Super Bowl, too. I know I did. This is the year of Dave. Just don't go out and break anything playing frolf.

  •   Posted by Blogger Jeff'y at October 22, 2004 6:16 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • He also got a big-time law-talking job working for Rich's dad. And he and his bride have a robot vacuum cleaner.

    Maybe I should start keeping kosher. Then the Cowboys might have a running game.

  •   Posted by Blogger BrooklynDodger at October 24, 2004 6:33 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Longtime lurker, first time poster.

    Michael was raised in a household where our [anyway my] favorite team was whoever was playing the yankees. Second favorite was whoever was playing the Los Angeles Dodgers. [This would come up from time to time in the World Series.] Third came the Mets, forth the Tigers, then a tie between Boston and San Francisco. Why the Giants, hated when in NY, became a favorite when in SF remains to this day an question for research.

    For some reason, young people from NY who by nature or nurture would have been expected to be Dodger fans had they been in Brooklyn, failed to properly bond to the Mets and corruptly became Yankee fans. Although, there was a time when the Yankees fell low, before Steinbrenner learned to buy the pennant each year.

Post a Comment