Free-Floating Hostility

Sunday, November 21, 2004


Roar!

The New York Daily News reported Sunday that, apparently, Columbia is a bastion of hatred. If you read to the end, however, you'll see that the piece does mention the Spec. So that's something.

Here's the best graf in the story:

But one student on College Walk described the campus as a "republic of fear." Another branded the Middle East and Asian languages and cultures department the "department of dishonesty."


It shows that, whatever its flaws, a Columbia education teaches students how to speak in soundbytes.

3 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Blogger Rich at November 22, 2004 4:05 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • I thought Prof. Saliba was a nice guy. He liked to talk about "veal" a lot, which I found odd. Is this article valid journalism? It sounds like they are using out of context quotes to put together a one-sided story.

  •   Posted by Blogger Form at November 22, 2004 9:29 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • I get asked about this stuff all the time in my comunity. Anyone have a definition for impermissable academic intimidation? Because I have gone to Law School for 2 and half years, I can only talk about things if there is a definition involved. Preferably in a statute.

  •   Posted by Blogger Jeff'y at November 22, 2004 4:45 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • When I went on my campus tour they told me that if you find the definition for impermissable academic intimidation hidden in the statute of Alma Mater on the Steps then you get to marry a Barnard girl of your choosing.

Post a Comment