Free-Floating Hostility

Tuesday, February 15, 2005


Valentine's Day in the Salt Mines

After answering my home phone last night to hear April’s customary “Hi Mike!” replaced with “What the hell are you still doing there?” I decided to arrive at the basketball game early. In fact, I got there 45 minutes before tip-off (which drew notice because my colleague who covers the men’s beat sometimes shows 45 minutes after tip-off) and was rewarded by uninterrupted exposure to the Jock Jams CD.

Since it was Valentine’s Day and women’s basketball, there was hardly anyone there. There were, however, Valentine’s-Day-themed promotions such as the half-time game where they put three bases out on the court and had a guy answer questions about his girlfriend so he could score. They were also selling red carnations. After the game, Mike the head Sports Information guy walked up with a flower and we had the following conversation:

Mike 1: (showing carnation) I’m not going home empty-handed tonight.

Mike 2: My wife doesn’t care about that shit.

Mike 1: Of course she does. They all say that.

Mike 2: No, no. She really doesn’t.

[Editor’s Note: The above exchange is only funny in the context of the post below it.]

After the press conference, I came back to find the head of another carnation sitting on my computer. “That means I’m going to murder you,” Mark the stat guy explained.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment