Free-Floating Hostility

Monday, December 18, 2006


And Puppy Makes Three

Apologies for that last couple of weeks of silence. It all probably makes a really good story, complete with couch surfing (me), term paper writing (Anna), and some total code warrior shit (Anna again). And maybe we'll get around to telling you about it, although I doubt it. Anyway, who really cares about the past. I say, let bygones be bygones. So whatever.

Now, perhaps you remember Nisa the German Shepherd, who belongs to Anna's friend, Dara. For the next 13 days (oh, but who's counting)(well, for now, me), Nisa has taken up residence in our apartment. She's currently passed out asleep in middle of our living room, like a tacky rug. This is not to say that Nisa is tacky, but all rugs that have heads are tacky. Sorry, focus.

So there are a couple of side issues related to this visit. That main one is that dogs are not, strictly speaking, allowed in our complex. There was one once, who was a very sweet mutt named Bear. But that was about seven building managers ago, and the dog lived off in the corner where he didn't get in anyone's way. Everyone was in on everything and no one got hurt. We don't really know our current building manager, who just arrived in November (which is sort of a long time ago, now that I think about it.), or really very many of our neighbors. So we'll see how this goes.

Also, I am actually afraid of dogs. I used to be deathly afraid of dogs, so really I've gotten a lot better. We met Nisa in Berkeley on Friday and walked her and everything went really well. She even seemed to respond to me. Also we ran into Ariel Meyestein, but that's another story. Today, just before we brought her into the apartment, she barked at me. This has set us back. It's been about 50 minutes and I've only now forgiven her. I'm going to be spending most of the next four days with her while Anna's at work. I'm afraid I won't be able to control her and that will get us evicted. So there's that.

Thirdly, both sets of family are coming to visit at the end of the week. Anna's family loves dogs. My parents, not so much.

It does it make it all worth it to see Anna so happy. She's been dog deprived since we left New York. Recently, she's taken to cruising the area outside of the journalism building at Berkeley to hang out with the dogs that wait there. Most journalists have dogs because, as a species, we're disagreeable and the only people that like us are those that rely on us for food. We'll keep you posted on how things go with Nisa.

Labels: , ,

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment