Free-Floating Hostility

Wednesday, March 23, 2005


My Best Friends at Work are Pregnant Goats

Now that I know that e-Scrabble is undermining the economy I no longer play it on my lunch break. I'm looking into blogging at lunch instead, though I fear this will lead to boring posts. I don't usually eat with anyone here, partly because I can't take the smell of fish sauce in the lunch room around this time of day. When it's sunny out I go around the back of CHE (my building, the Center for Health and Environment) to CEH (the Center for Equine Health) and visit with the horses and goats. Yeah, I know what you're thinking, there's a whole center for that? But this is UC Davis, where agriculture is king, and that's not nearly the weirdest stuff they have going on. The goats are my favorite. They walk funny (though this may be because they are due to make baby goats soon) and they can wag their tails. When you talk to them they make this funny noise like if Fran Drescher were a sheep. My dad tells me that goat meat is becoming a hot commodity and that many former cow farmers are making the switch. Being a vegetarian means I don't have to think about that too hard, though it does decrease my chances of overcoming my aversion to fish sauce enough to actually talk to someone during lunch.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment