Free-Floating Hostility

Monday, May 16, 2005


Conquering Mt. Gravitron

The Gravitron machine sits in the corner of our gym's weightroom, looking forbidding and tough as really muscle-bound people use it. The machine simulates chin-ups, offering assistance as you pull yourself up. It's actually a pretty controlled workout, but doing it makes you feel like a gangster (Damn that feels good).

For over a year, Anna and I have adhered a basically unchanged gym regimen, the same two cardio machines, the same abdominal stretches, the same eight weight exercises, and the same moping motions for when we don't want to do something. Recently though, we've gotten a little more adventurous. We've added some machines, though Anna still can't convince me to go on the hip adductor which looks to me more like a testicle removal device. Sunday, however, we finally attempted the Gravitron. I think we're adding it to the rotation.

As an aside, I've done exactly one chin-up in my life. During fifth grade, our gym teacher got involved in a study that measured how people felt about themselves based on their physical fitness level. I managed to do one chin-up because the guy proctering the exam didn't make sure my momentum had stopped from mounting the bar. Still it was one. And then I lied about feeling terrible on the psychological portion of the test because I thought it was the funny, err, gangster, thing to do.

2 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Blogger Form at May 17, 2005 5:13 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • In college one of Sharon's friends referred to the Gavitron as "The Machine of Death." As for adding new things to a workout routine, I have read in various places that varying your workout routine throughout the week allows you to have more effective workouts. This is because it challenges your body more. I do not do this myself because my building's gym is rather small and I do not have time to learn how to do different exercises. But Kudos to you guys.

  •   Posted by Blogger Anna at May 17, 2005 4:08 PM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • Dude, your building has a gym.

Post a Comment