Free-Floating Hostility

Monday, May 09, 2005


Getting our Paper Boy Fired

For the second consecutive week, the person who delivers our New York Times has decided not to show up. This has meant plenty of quality time with the Times' automated phone system and telephone operators. The voice on the automated system is annoying, but I like dealing with the operators.

I am perfecting an even-keel, matter-of-fact vocal inflection that seems to broadcast the gravity of a situation to the people on the phone. I'm trying to use that in my reporting as well, so when I come up with a story that makes someone's life difficult I'm not having to use some trite, bullshit phrase like, "I'm sorry to have to ask this but it's my job." Anyway, they've sent some very serious letters to the distribution team, which I hope do the trick. It's just not Sunday morning without a real newspaper.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment