Free-Floating Hostility

Sunday, June 26, 2005


Hostylefaxer: The Most Welcome Wedding Guests

Last night I drove to Belleville, Mich. for the wedding of one of my oldest friends.

It was a vaguely familiar sensation because while I knew the bride, her family, and one of the bridesmaids, I didn't really know anyone who could spend the first 4 hours of the event actually talking with me. In 7th grade, I would go to these bar/bat mitzvahs where I would be surrounded by suburban middle schoolers I had never seen before. It made for a lot strange evenings.

This one, however, turned into a lot of fun. I am a little more willing to talk to people I don't know than I was in 7th grade. Also my job is sufficiently cool that when we get around to talking about that, I draw enough interest to keep conversation alive. I spent part of the dancing section tending to the groom's drunk cousin, who probably won't remember being tended to. I saw a lot of familar faces, people I was very close to for a long time. It was a nice night.

The wedding was in the groom's parent's backyard, which was right next to a lake of some sort. Outside the dinner tent there were groups of fireflies lighting themselves up. It had been years since I had seen a firefly, but they certainly do add to whatever effect you're trying to achieve. Especially at a wedding.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment