Free-Floating Hostility

Tuesday, May 23, 2006


I am leaving for New York tonight for a week, and some time sooner rather than later both Mike and I will return to posting about public health, sports and the general aspect of our own navels. I just want to say a few words about all the people who have made their way here searching for Tiesha's name. I feel privileged that so many have come to read and in some cases share their feelings and memories. I also want to say, though, that I wasn't Tiesha's closest friend, and that as much as I cared for her there are people who cared still more, who knew her better, and who have beautiful words to consecrate to her. I'm just the one with the blog. I hope everyone who remembers her finds a way to honor her so that the picture of Tiesha that we all keep is that much sharper. It's not enough of course, but it's all that's left to us.

My husband is not much for prayer or spirituality of any kind, but he does recite the Secular Humanist meditation for the dead, "The memory of good people blesses us." I believe that the memory of Tiesha Sargeant blesses us.

1 Comment(s):

  •   Posted by Anonymous Anonymous at May 26, 2006 5:31 AM | Permanent Link to this Comment
  • When I see such a tragedy as Tiesha's death it leaves me cold.
    I find it impossible to NOT think of my baby daughter, and dwell on what the world holds for her. Tiesha was clearly a young woman full of promise and hope. Beautiful in not only form and face, but soul. I work at Conde Nast and it is eerie to still see her name and postition in the address listing and know her life has come to an end, cut short...no, stolen....by an animal who did not remember that we are all really one family of man.


    What you do chooses your path for you, and cruelty will return to you as surely as love and caring also does.

    I will continue to include Tiesha and her family in my prayers, along with my prayer that God find a way to help me understand why this world needed one less wonderous person in it.

    Perhaps God was feeling terribly lonely and sought consolation, and then he remembered Tiesha......

Post a Comment