Free-Floating Hostility

Friday, April 29, 2005


I am too Tired for Writing Structure

I am very tired. I woke up at 4 something this morning in order to drive down to Modesto with a coworker whom I will call Alger. The object of our road trip was a conference on farm safety education for children. Given my background in early childhood education this is actually right up my alley. Also it meant I didn't have to do any real work today.

By virtue of the fact that the other attendees of this meeting were actually farmers, I learned more about agriculture today than I've learned in two months at the University. The conference was arranged by Farm Safety 4 Just Kids, a non-profit that was started by a woman whose 11-year-old son died in a gravity flow wagon eighteen years ago. Their goal is to educate children and parents, mostly on family farms where children are educated in agriculture from the beginning, about hazards peculiar to children (they're inexperienced, and the wrong size for most machines). Let me tell you it was bloody fascinating, and it kind of made me miss teaching. It definitely made me wish I was spending more of my time on outreach and less of it nagging PIs for their biosketches and being growled at for my pains.

Also, I learned that Alger, who is a very mild-mannered guy and not obviously interesting, is about fifty times cooler than me. Besides his Peace Corps stint in Honduras and his master's degree in England he's worked in Nicaragua, Japan, Pakistan, and Mozambique, just that we've talked about today. He's been to 24 countries so far and he's planted over 1,000 trees.

I am going to sleep now.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment